Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Blessed Mom

The other day I blogged all about Frankie, Lanes Gramma, and my kids Great Gramma who recently went to Heaven :) I mentioned in that post that we have 4 kids, I also mentioned the names ... of 3 of them. Karleigh, Keegan, and Logan ...
Since I was about 14 (the same age as the "unmentioned") or younger I have been a big believer that being the "good kid" isn't always that great. You don't get into trouble, or not much anyway, you do your homework, almost all of the time, you're responsible and reliable and nobody really has to worry about you because they know you will be ok ... which sometimes leads to them forgetting about you (only for very brief periods of time mind you ... but still)
Lets, just for this posts sake, call Tristan the "good kid" whom I forgot to mention in my blog the other day.
Its not because he wasn't a very special part of Nana Frankies life, because he definitely was. In fact she spoke about him quite a lot just 2 days before she passed. It's not because he didn't send in a tribute to her like the rest of us, because he did. Its also certainly not because he is any less of my kid than the others are, he is with me nearly 365 days out of the year as Karleigh and Keegan are - minus sleepovers :) I make him just as many dinners as I make them, I worry about him just as much as I worry about them, and I have never in the 4 and a half years that he's been "my kid" told anyone that I only have 1 or 2 children. So how could I forget to mention him?? Sometimes, in a house full of babies, toddlers and teenagers, the mind is very thankful when you only have to worry about 1 or 2 kids at a time. Its calming sometimes to know that at least one of your kids is either sleeping, playing, or at school and just for a minute there is one less person to worry about.
Yesterday I spent the whole day with Trist, part of it with the "littles" too and then after they went to sleep for the night we went out to do some shopping (and pachos!) something we used to do more often together, but lets face it - bottles, diapers and naps can get in the way of just about anything!
Our home is full of odd numbers, age-wise. 36, 26, 14, 3 and 1 - and I often get the "how IS that??" question ... I always answer with "we are very blessed ..." the odds were/are certainly against us, but that never mattered. Some blended families have the kids half of the time and as much as the thought has crossed my mind, not gonna lie haha ... I wouldnt want it any other way. We're a family, not a "blended" one, just a family and I am so blessed as a Mother and as a Stepmother (although Im still not a big fan of that term thanks to Cinderella) to have such a great relationship with all of my kids.
All of this to say that Tristan, you are never forgotten ... sometimes, as a worrier, I just enjoy the short break knowing that you are ok :)
xo

1 comment: