Friday, December 6, 2013

Im angry. At you, at it, and at the whole thing.

I've picked up the phone to call. I've started to write texts that I have told myself not to send. I have searched for anyone on Facebook that I think might have some information ... and I have turned the computer off.

This is all so beyond my control and I have to tell myself that every, single, day.

It was 3 months this week since I have heard from you. I saw that day coming on the calendar and thought no, I will hear from her before then ... but nothing. Just like when I sent all those messages, every single day hoping to awaken a memory in you or spark something, but nothing. Just like when your little sisters birthday came and went. I was sure that I would hear from you because every year you surprise me and remember her special day ... nothing. I checked with your mom and thought maybe she had heard from you and hadn't let me know yet, but I was wrong.

I saw this whole scenario coming but I kept telling myself that this was not going to happen again. Things were going well between us. We saw you, we spent time with you, we took a picture of all 4 kids for the first time in 4 years. I look at that image now and I know that it was, like everything else, part of a plan. It wasn't the amazing new start that I'd hoped it was, it was just another piece to our puzzle. Another memory to add to our bank. I am thankful that I have those images, but I can't look at them right now.

I am angry. I'm angry that addiction tears families apart. I am angry that you are in a toxic relationship. I am angry that you won't let us help you. I am angry that you think this is a healthy way to live.

Im angry that addiction is manipulative and it lies and that it has fooled family members into believing you are "OK" when we know without a single doubt that you are not. I can't make them acknowledge that though.

I am also angry at myself.  I know that nobody chose this, and that anger will not help anyone. Not us, and not you, and I know that. I know that my anger is really sadness and helplessness but if I call it anger I feel tougher about it. I'm afraid that if I look at it for what it is, it will just be a place I can't go to again.

As long as you continue down this path I have to hide all of this away, in a spot in the very back of my mind. I can't let it take over because then addiction wins and that just won't happen.

So rather then text you again, or try to contact someone who might know SOMEthing ... I choose this. It helps me in a tiny way by letting it out, and maybe it will help someone else who will stumble upon it someday. It has happened for me in the past and I know that even though we don't hear about it, we are not the only ones in this position.

The fact that I am a worrier makes me think years down the road and what this will do to you brothers and your sister. It's not your fault that my mind goes there, but I do wish that it all meant something to you. I wish that being a big sister to them was enough for you. I wish that something inside of you would turn back on and bring you home, or at least back to our lives, but I have accepted that that may never happen.

For now, for the last 3 months, and for the sake of choosing to be a good mother to the other 3, I will just pray that you are safe, that you are alive, and that somewhere inside you still know that you are loved unconditionally ... even if sometimes we are angry.














No comments:

Post a Comment